From TFL:‘Winter Wanders’ sees TfL put on 43 free guided walks across London on Saturday 23 and Sunday 24 January. The walks, which are led by experienced Walk London guides, are a perfect post-Christmas activity as they range from short strolls to more challenging routes, and all start and finish within easy reach of public transport.
“From our new Walking Tube map to Legible London wayfinding signs and our pedestrian safety action plan, we’re committed to making London the most walkable city in the world.”
The 43 guided Winter Wanders include:
• Scenes on Screen – Film and TV in London at 14:00 (1.7 miles) a new walk for 2016, which will take in locations used for films, TV series and commercials, as well as insights into some of the famous former local residents.
• Goodnight Mr Tom – London in the Blitz at 14:00 (1.6 miles) this new family-focused walk is inspired by Michelle Magorian’s much loved book “Goodnight Mister Tom”, which tells the story of Willy Beech who is evacuated from London during World War II. The walk explores the City of London and hears what life was like for those who remained in the Capital during the Blitz.
• Hidden Alleyways and Courtyards – St Paul’s to Chancery Lane at 11.00 (1.5 miles) this walk explores London’s past including a monastery, hidden alleyways and the history of London’s newspapers and journalism.
• Discovering Historic Southwark – in the Shadow of the Shard at 14.30 (2 miles) walk from London Bridge to Tower Hill. Learn about the Roman times to the present day, Southwark’s famous landmarks and inhabitants, its seafaring past, its literary connections and some of its dark secrets.
• London’s Hidden Treasures – Waterloo to London Bridge at 11:30 (2 miles) this is a gentle stroll along both sides of the River Thames which will reveal some of the secrets that lie beneath the streets and under the river. The walk starts at Waterloo and the iconic London Eye before moving directly on to the river where the history is over 2,000 years.
• Seafaring London – Tower Bridge to Greenwich at 11.30 (6.5 miles) a special walk exploring seafaring London. Walking through Shad Thames and also looking across the water at St Katherine’s Dock, Wapping, Limehouse and Millwall.