The Wellington Arch on Hyde Park Corner will re-open on today as London’s latest exhibition space with quiclky changing temporary exhibits and a new permanent exhibition telling the history of this famous London landmark.
According to English Heritage : “Visitors will be able to step out onto the balconies on top of the Arch and enjoy glorious views of the capital, including the Royal Parks and the Houses of Parliament and watch the Household Cavalry as it passes to and from the changing of the Guard at Horse Guards Parade.
Wellington Arch was built in 1828 as a grand outer gateway to Buckingham Palace and as a victory arch to commemorate Wellington’s defeat of Napoleon. Victorian traffic jams meant that in 1883, the Arch was dismantled and moved some 20 metres to its current location. It then became London’s smallest police station; in 1952, a few years before the station’s closure, there were 10 constables, two sergeants and a cat called Snooks stationed there.”